Entered NZR service in December 1917. Hauled the "Royal Train" out of Auckland. Transferred to the South Island in September 1959. It was withdrawn in July 1969 but was kept for a possible third locomotive for the Kingston Flyer but was then used as a source of spare parts for the Kingston Flyer ABs. Purchased by Ian Welch in 1983, and restored to mainline standard which included conversion to oil firing at the Silver Stream Railway. In use since 1997, AB 663 is based out of the Plimmerton depot. The 'AB' is notable for being the only "Pacific" locomotive to be converted to an oil burner and has a acessed headlight. It has been named Sharon Lee in preservation.
use the search box for this site